Friday, April 26, 2013

The journey begins... Into the Raspberry Pi hole!

Rasp_turn_around
I am a 45-year-old father of one with very little experience in programming and even less experience in electronics. My programming experience is limited to C64 and Timex Sinclair 1000 basic when both machines were new and state-of-the-art during my teen years.
Fast forward 25 years and my son wants a Raspberry Pi computer. Helping him set it up and things just start sparking and growing in my mind. The more I explore this device, the more I imagine what it could be used for. Now I own my own RPI setup and have started to explore it as a complete and utter novice.
I understand the device was designed to introduce children into the world of micro-controllers, but I can see it has much more potential. As an older adult, I think it is harder to teach ourselves and to grasp the ideas behind new technologies. But this little device and the community that supports it make it a very powerful learning platform. So I decided to document some of my adventures into the world of this tiny micro controller and see what I can create and unlock. Hopefully you will be able get something out of my experience and insights.
With grand ideas of web-connected robots and RPI controlled CNC or 3d printers to fabricate parts for prototypes, this will prove to be an exciting learning experience for "this old dog".
Well, here we go. Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment